Friday, February 03, 2006

Preschool Open House

It has taken me a while to find the right preschool program for Jaida. One where she will be able to work at her own level throughout the program. After much calling around I finally found a program at a local church. We went to the open house last night and Jaida had a blast playing in her new classroom with the other kids. She loved it. The class rooms are bright and cheery and everything is on a miniature level which is too cute for words. I simply felt like a giant. Now Jaida and I get to go stand in line with about 30 other people on Wednesday to try and be one of the ten that gets a slot. Should be interesting.

The good thing about this school is it has a five day a week (2 hours/day) program for 3 year olds. A similar program for 4 year olds and then kindergarten (likely an all-day program) all in the same building. Nancy will be able to drop Jaida off and pick her up for me so my schedule will not have to be altered and best of all Tayler and Jordan (Jaida's friends) will be in Jaida's class with her. I think this will make the transition very smooth for her. The bad part is it is a school affilitaed with a church therefore there are religious aspects that I am not crazy about. I did explain to the director that we are not religious but we do plan to teach Jaida about religion but in our own way. We do not want any one religion forced on her in any way. The director seemed okay with this and said she would do her best to work with us. I actually believe her ... you can tell they all just love the children there and that is what is important. That and the fact that the kindergarteners routinely work at a first to second grade level.

No comments: