Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Five Years Old

I am not exactly sure when I blinked and my little chubby baby became a very slender 5 year old girl. It scares me a bit though. I have really made an effort to live in the moment with my kids. I don't wish time to fly by to get out of rough patches or phases of undesirable behavior. Instead I try to live in the now knowing that with the little bit of bad will come an abundance of good. So in some ways I feel like we have had a very full five years together but in another way I feel like the five years just went by much too fast.

During the dark hours of the early morning my first baby, my only girl baby, turned five years old. This seems huge. She has left the baby in her behind forever. She has had her feet firmly planted in the domain of the little kid for a while now as evidenced by dance recitals, playing piano, learning to swim, tying her own shoes, playing soccer, etc. One thing changed during the early morning hours today ... she is now officially five years old. For the last year I have spent a fair amount of time in denial still calling her a toddler because she was after all only four years old. A four year old is not of school age and therefore not a little kid is what I told myself (over and over again). I am feeling a little weepy today as I think about Jaida as a baby and how quickly these last five years have sped by. Even though I am a little weepy I am mostly happy when I think about all Jaida has become in the last five years and all the potential she holds for the future.

Happy birthday my sweet girl!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Gosh, five already. Happy Birthday Jaida!

baf70 said...

Happy birthday to Jaida. I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday.